Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Raising Cain (Wild Rose Book 3) by Scarlett Jade

Raising Cain (Wild Rose Book 3) 
by Scarlett Jade



Available on Amazon http://amzn.to/1B19bBn

BLURB

Grace’s world is rocked after Christina dies and she’s left learning how to raise a micro preemie with many health concerns. As Cain reaches his first Christmas, someone from her past returns, and Grace is left reeling.
WhenDrake finds a strange e-mail in his inbox after returning from touring with his band, Jacob’s Ladder, his first thought is that it can’t be true. A part of him has to know for sure, and he makes a trip to Phoenix to find out if Grace really had a child, and if it’s his.
Graceis determined to make sure the littlest wild rose has a home, and she’snot willing to have her heart broken again by anyone. Being alone is the safest thing.
Drake has other plans.
Can he convince her to fall in love again, or has Grace become wary of love’s thorns?


EXCERPT

Grace held her tongue and smiled at the things they’d picked up for him. He already had at least three of the toys they’d brought. They didn’t believe in asking what he needed. After all, it’s not like I’d 
know what my godson would need. It irked her. She watched as Cain grew tired and began rubbing his eyes.
“He’s ready for his nap,” Grace mentioned, standing to take him from Addie.
“Oh, I can get him down.” Addie assured her.
“Just tell me where his nursery is.”
“He’s used to me getting him ready for his naps,”Grace argued.
“Well, let me spend time with him today. I’ve rocked three babies to sleep, I think I can handle the job,” Addie retorted.
Damien stood and offered Addie his hand. “Let me show you where it is.”
Grace glared at him and sat down on the couch. “Sure, be my guest.”

Patrick smiled at her. “Addie is so excited. Have you given any further consideration to our offer?” Grace closed her eyes and took a slow breath. Dammit! “No, I haven’t. Cain and I are doing just fine."

"I’m sure. I know it has to be hard for you. You’re still just a young woman, and you should be out living life, not raising a child with special needs.” Patrick crossed his legs and took a sip of his iced tea.

Grace felt her anger bubbling up and threatening to explode. “If you’ll excuse me?” She stood and rushed out the back door to the quiet of the garden, trying to calm down before she said something she shouldn’t. The rose bush she’d planted for Christina sat tucked in a quiet alcove of 
the garden, and she plopped on a bench nearby.
Christina, I’m trying hard to do what’s right for Cain. I’m taking care of him like I promised. I don’t want to be angry with Addie and Patrick. They’re driving me crazy! You wouldn’t have left him with me if I couldn’t handle it. She took in a slow, cleansing breath and blew it out.

She sat in the garden for a few more minutes until she heard a noise. It was Cain, sobbing. Even with all the windows closed, she could plainly hear his keening cries. Something was wrong. Leaping off the bench, she ran for the door and skidded inside. “What’s wrong with him?”
Addie was coming down the stairs. “You’ve really made him a lap baby. He’s upstairs crying it out. I bet you get no sleep. It will strengthen his lungs. It’s a good thing.”
Grace took off up the stairs, ignoring Addie’s words as she came into the nursery. Cain was red in the face and struggling to suck in air with each scream. Sweeping him into her arms,she grabbed the oxygen cannula and slipped it into his nose. “Shh...” she murmured to him. “I’m here.”
Rubbing her hand up and down his back, she soothed him and her panic abated as his breathing regulated. Peering down at him, she found that he was asleep in her arms. Easing him into his crib, she carefully fitted the tubing around his ears and turned on the baby monitor. Stepping into the hallway, she closed his door and stalked down the stairs.
She’d had quite enough now, and with each step she took, her anger flared higher. Stalking into the 
living room, she opened her mouth to speak, but was cut off by Addie.
“Why did you go up there?” Addie sighed. “You have to let him cry sometimes.”

Then she couldn’t control herself any longer, and word vomit bubbled up. “When I went up there he was struggling to breathe. I know what’s best for my son!” Grace countered, her chest heaving with emotion. “I’m tired of the two of you constantly hinting that I give him to you, or that I’m a terrible mother. Because I’m not. Christina left him to me, and my son and I are fine! He’s getting the treatment he needs. I think you should go.” She hurried back up the stairs and ran into her room, where she threw herself across the bed and wept.
Sometime later, a soft knock came at her door. “Who is it?”
“It’s me,” Damien replied.
“Come in.” Grace sat up on the bed and wiped her eyes.

Damien stepped into the room and sat beside her on the bed. “They’re gone. We had a long chat, and I think they realized their mistake. They said they were sorry and it’s up to you when they can come back. Addie promised to be on her best behavior.”
Grace snorted. “Whatever. All they’re worried about is taking him.”
“When you were downstairs showing your ass, do you realize what you said?” Damien asked.
“Do you think I was wrong in being angry?” Grace murmured.
“No, I don’t. Do you realize what you said?” Damien pressed.
“What? I told them to leave.” She shrugged and wiped her nose.
“You admitted that he’s your son,” Damien replied.
Grace’s eyes flew wide. “I did?”

“Yes, you did. You knew in your heart he’s your son, your brain just had to catch up. You’re his mama. Only a mama would have come roaring downstairs like you did ready to kill anyone who hurt her baby,” Damien stated.
Grace sniffled and wiped at her eyes again. “I love him.”

AUTHOR BIO
Scarlett Jade is just a small town Southern girl who is now a Northern transplant. She was always found from a young age with her brow furrowed, scribbling words on paper. Now that she is grown, life isn't much different, she still scribbles words, but mostly on the computer! She is married to the man of her dreams, her real life knight in shining armor and Prince Charming. She has one son who is the apple of her eye and she homeschools year round. You can typically find her playing in the dirt with her son or snuggled on the couch with her dog Peanut, reading a good book. She loves chocolate, thinks coffee should be a religion, and loves to make people laugh with her quirky sense of humor. She is bold, brazen, and even been told she's ballsy, but she doesn't mind, she takes it in stride. She has a huge passion for all things paranormal and has a penchant for spicy love stories that leave you turning the pages and dying to slide between the sheets of her next book!

CONNECT WITH SCARLETT JADE
Published by Beau Coup Publishing:
http://www.beaucoupllcpublishing.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment